About the artist
Welcome to Yumiko’s Website.
- A am selected to exhibit at Designer Crafts “Hand of the Maker” at Chelsea College of Art & Design 2018
- I am showing my works at the exhibition “The Makers’ Art 2018” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen at the Lightbox Art Fund Prize Gallery in May 2018.
- I am on Facebook. Please visit my page.
- I am on Instagram. Please visit my page.
- My article and interview are now live on TextileArtist.Org.
- My Interview and workshop are on Patchwork Professional magazine (published in October in 2014)
1 – 27 May 2018, “The Makers’ Art 2018” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen, the Lightbox Art Fund Gallery, Chobham Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 4AA
12 – 21 July 2018, “Hand of the Maker, Designer Crafts at Chelsea 2018” College of Arts, 16 John Islip Street, London SW1P 4JU
Click here for more exhibitions
Stitch Drawings – Fibre Art
My works are called ‘Stitch Drawings’, which I create using a sewing machine and surface manipulation.
A sewing machine is my favourite drawing and painting tool. I am constantly pushing the boundaries of stitching, drawing and painting in order to create a new kind of art form “Stitch Drawing” with fibre, thread, paper and pigment.
I use various techniques such as surface manipulation (scratching and tearing), painting with inks and paints and applying free machine zigzag and straight stitching. I normally use 9 tonal values of threads (white, grey and black) on the layers of paper that are painted and stained initially with acrylic ink.
Patchwork Professional, October 2014
Interview- textileartist.org March 2014
Hidden Treasure Art Magazine Yearbook 2014, HT Art Magazine Publishing 2014
1000 Artisan Textile, Quarry Books May 2010
Stitch issue No 63 (Afghanistan Inspiration), Feb/Mar 2010
Magstitch (Magi Blog; Wet Windsor Wondering), 20/06/2007
Embroiderers’ Guilds Enfield & District Branch Newsletter October 2012
Click here for Yumiko’s Resume