About the artist
Welcome to Yumiko’s Website.
- I am selected to show my work at the exhibition “another view”, Prism Textiles, the RBSA Gallery in Birmingham in April/May2017.
- I am showing my works at the exhibition “The Makers’ Art 2017” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen at Cranleigh Arts Centre in September 2017.
- I am showing my works at the exhibition “The Makers’ Art 2018” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen at the Lightbox Art Fund Prize Gallery in May 2018.
- I am showing my works at the exhibition “Colour” at Robert Phillips Gallery, Riverhouse Barn Arts Centre in September 2017.
- I am on Facebook. Please visit my page.
- I am on Instagram. Please visit my page.
- My article and interview are now live on TextileArtist.Org.
- My Interview and workshop are on Patchwork Professional magazine (published in October in 2014)
5 – 30 September 2017, “The Makers’ Art 2017” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen, Cranleigh Arts Centre, 1 High St, Cranleigh, Surrey GU6 8AS
13 September-1 October 2017, HapticArt
Robert Phillips Gallery, Riverhouse Arts Centre, Manor Road, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey KT12 2PF
1 – 27 May 2018, “The Makers’ Art 2018” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen, the Lightbox Art Fund Gallery, Chobham Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 4AA
Click here for more exhibitions
Stitch Drawings – Fibre Art
My works are called ‘Stitch Drawings’, which I create using a sewing machine and surface manipulation.
A sewing machine is my favourite drawing and painting tool. I am constantly pushing the boundaries of stitching, drawing and painting in order to create a new kind of art form “Stitch Drawing” with fibre, thread, paper and pigment.
I use various techniques such as surface manipulation (scratching and tearing), painting with inks and paints and applying free machine zigzag and straight stitching. I normally use 9 tonal values of threads (white, grey and black) on the layers of paper that are painted and stained initially with acrylic ink.
Patchwork Professional, October 2014
Interview- textileartist.org March 2014
Hidden Treasure Art Magazine Yearbook 2014, HT Art Magazine Publishing 2014
1000 Artisan Textile, Quarry Books May 2010
Stitch issue No 63 (Afghanistan Inspiration), Feb/Mar 2010
Magstitch (Magi Blog; Wet Windsor Wondering), 20/06/2007
Embroiderers’ Guilds Enfield & District Branch Newsletter October 2012
Click here for Yumiko’s Resume