About the artist
Welcome to Yumiko’s Website.
- I am showing my works at the exhibition “The Makers’ Art Christmas 2018” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen at the the Bourneside Gallery, Dorking, Surrey from 6th November to 1st December 2018.I am selected to exhibit at Designer Crafts “Hand of the Maker” at Chelsea College of Art & Design 2018
- I am selected to exhibit at “Transient” Prism Textiles, Hoxton Arches Gallery, London
- I am showing my works at the exhibition “The Makers’ Art 2018” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen at the Lightbox Art Fund Prize Gallery in May 2018.
- I am on Facebook. Please visit my page.
- I am on Instagram. Please visit my page.
- I am on Pinterest. Please visit my page.
- My article and interview are now live on TextileArtist.Org.
- My Interview and workshop are on Patchwork Professional magazine (published in October in 2014)
6 November – 21 December 2018, “The Makers’ Art Christmas 2018” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen, the Bourneside Gallery, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1DN
1 – 27 May 2018, “The Makers’ Art 2018” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen, the Lightbox Art Fund Gallery, Chobham Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 4AA
30 May – 10 June 2018, “Transient” Prism Textiles, Hoxton Arches Gallery, London E2 8HD
12 – 21 July 2018, “Hand of the Maker, Designer Crafts at Chelsea 2018” College of Arts, 16 John Islip Street, London SW1P 4JU
Click here for more exhibitions
Stitch Drawings – Fibre Art
My works are called ‘Stitch Drawings’, which I create using a sewing machine and surface manipulation.
A sewing machine is my favourite drawing and painting tool. I am constantly pushing the boundaries of stitching, drawing and painting in order to create a new kind of art form “Stitch Drawing” with fibre, thread, paper and pigment.
I use various techniques such as surface manipulation (scratching and tearing), painting with inks and paints and applying free machine zigzag and straight stitching. I normally use 9 tonal values of threads (white, grey and black) on the layers of paper that are painted and stained initially with acrylic ink.
The Society of Designer Craftsmen (MSDC)(a council member)
North Surrey Group the Society of Designer Craftsmen
Patchwork Professional, October 2014
Interview- textileartist.org March 2014
Hidden Treasure Art Magazine Yearbook 2014, HT Art Magazine Publishing 2014
1000 Artisan Textile, Quarry Books May 2010
Stitch issue No 63 (Afghanistan Inspiration), Feb/Mar 2010
Magstitch (Magi Blog; Wet Windsor Wondering), 20/06/2007
Embroiderers’ Guilds Enfield & District Branch Newsletter October 2012
Click here for Yumiko’s Resume