About the artist
Welcome to Yumiko’s Website.
- I am selected to exhibit at “Fragility” Prism Textiles, Hoxton Arches Gallery, London in May 2019 and at The Royal Birmingham Society of Artists (RBSA), Birmingham in October 2019
- I am showing my works at the exhibition “The Makers’ Art 2019” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen at the Robert Phillips Gallery, Riverhouse Barn Arts Centre, Walton on Thames, Surrey from 2nd to 13th October 2019.
- I am showing my works at the exhibition “The Makers’ Art Christmas 2019” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen at the the Bourneside Gallery, Dorking, Surrey from 5th to 30th November 2019.
- I am on Facebook. Please visit my page.
- I am on Instagram. Please visit my page.
- My article and interview are now live on Org.
- My Interview and workshop are on Patchwork Professional magazine(published in October in 2014)
29 May – 9 June 2019, “Fragility” Prism Textiles, Hoxton Arches Gallery, London E2 8HD
2 – 13 October 2019, “The Makers’ Art 2019” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen, The Robert Phillips Gallery Riverhouse Barn Arts Centre Walton-on-Thames, Surrey KT12 2PF
8 – 19 October 2019, “Fragility” Prism Textiles, the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists (RBSA), Birmingham BS3 1SA
5 – 30 November 2019 “The Makers’ Art Christmas 2019” North Surrey Group of Society of Designer Craftsmen, the Bourneside Gallery, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1DN
Click here for more exhibitions
Stitch Drawings – Fibre Art
My works are called ‘Stitch Drawings’, which I create using a sewing machine and surface manipulation.
A sewing machine is my favourite drawing and painting tool. I am constantly pushing the boundaries of stitching, drawing and painting in order to create a new kind of art form “Stitch Drawing” with fibre, thread, paper and pigment.
I use various techniques such as surface manipulation (scratching and tearing), painting with inks and paints and applying free machine zigzag and straight stitching. I normally use 9 tonal values of threads (white, grey and black) on the layers of paper that are painted and stained initially with acrylic ink.
The Society of Designer Craftsmen (MSDC)(a council member)
North Surrey Group the Society of Designer Craftsmen
Patchwork Professional, October 2014
Interview- textileartist.org March 2014
Hidden Treasure Art Magazine Yearbook 2014, HT Art Magazine Publishing 2014
1000 Artisan Textile, Quarry Books May 2010
Stitch issue No 63 (Afghanistan Inspiration), Feb/Mar 2010
Magstitch (Magi Blog; Wet Windsor Wondering), 20/06/2007
Embroiderers’ Guilds Enfield & District Branch Newsletter October 2012
Click here for Yumiko’s Resume